Thursday, January 3, 2008

News Flash: PEOPLE STILL GIVE A SHIT ABOUT GRAMMAR!


Yes, my screaming title belies my better sense of netiquette. However, any public upheavel (however small) regarding bad grammar is welcomed, especially in a digital age in which both clever and clumsy subversions of grammar and diction are often more lauded than impeccable prose.

Lower Hudson Valley journalist Phil Reisman got nabbed by a "raft of e-mail" for an incorrect use of pronouns in the following phrase:

"By the time the illness struck my wife and I, it was a full-fledged Category 5 that brought me weeping to my knees."

As he notes, "It should haven been 'struck my wife and me.' Man, this kills me. A perfectly good line about throwing up was all but ruined by a dumb mistake. I don't know, but this could very well be a bad omen for the rest of 2008."

Well, I hate to say it, Reisman, but what kills one person might give another new faith in...well, something. Thank you, Reisman, for being the sacrificial lamb of good grammar.


Submit This Post!
Reddit Digg Facebook Yahoo Feed Me Links

1 comment:

scarlit said...

you'll probably never see this but i want your blog URL badly. ugh..........................